Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Pittsburgh.

March 26 through 28 I went to the ACES (American Copy Editors Society) conference for work. The conference was in Pittsburgh, a city I'd never been to before, so it was quite the adventure. Luckily I had a work friend going with me. I was so nervous about the extended leave away from Jack. I had this fear that he would need me and I wouldn't be there. But with a combination of Matt, my mother-in-law, and my father-in-law, Jack was well taken care of.

I have to admit, though, that the idea of getting away for four days alone in a hotel room sounded so cathartic. I almost never get alone time anymore, and this was FOUR days of it. I didn't even know what to do with myself. I took baths every night, read books, watched shows. Oh ya, and I also went to the conference. It was actually really fascinating. I enjoyed most of the sessions and it motivated me to come back to work and edit like a pro. It was weird being surrounded by so many people that did what I did. Camilla and I made friends pretty easily (considering we are introverts), and we talked regularly of grammar.

We explored the downtown area a bit. It was snowy and smoggy the whole four days we were there, so it wasn't the ideal setting. At one point we were searching for this bookstore I found online for about an hour. We walked in circles not realizing it was inside a mall, like in a Macy's. By the time we got there it was about 10 minutes shy of closing, but it was fun all the same.

It was a fun little trip and even though I am not in love with Pittsburgh, it was still great to go to a new place to get my wiggles out.



3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy you blogged about this! I'd forgotten how freezing it was until you mentioned the cold, but yeah, the alone time was bizarre and wonderful, wasn't it? I'm glad I got to go with you!

    ReplyDelete