Wednesday, February 11, 2015

the one with three christmases.

I'm just getting around to posting about Christmas. But I was just at the grocery store where one of the cashiers was whistling Jingle Bells. So that means I get a pass.

We had three Christmases. In Utah we celebrated with Matty's family with a little gift exchange and some hot chocolate. Nice and simple. The next night we had a Christmas with just us three. We wanted to open up the presents we had for each other so that we didn't have to haul it to California with us. It was a fun little thing, and Jack liked tearing the paper on his presents. It was cozy with our small family and mini tree. It's nice that he is young enough where Christmas is still low pressure. We just got him a few things, some wooden cars, books, [so forth].

Then the next day (the 18th) we headed to California to stay with my parents over the holiday. It was fun to get a little alone time with the parents before everyone else got there. We did a little party planning for the lil' guy, as it was his birthday on the 20th. I'll post separately about his birthday party (because it was kind of a milestone, ya'll).

The week we were there was full of good times. We went to Balboa island one day. Jack rode his first ferris wheel there, which he loved (all caps). There was a sign that said no babies under 1 could ride it, and they even stopped us at the gate. But we could proudly say he was 1 year and 2 days old, and they let us on. We walked to the pier and enjoyed the heat. It was great weather so we even spent a day at the lake going kayaking and soaking in the rays. Jack was really into getting dirty/sandy/muddy. My parents own a boat, which is just a fantastic thing, so we rode that one night with our whole extended family: the parents, the Beans, the Lyons, the Hayes'. All the baby cousins were on board, and I think we attempted to sing Christmas Carols. All the cousins got to take turns driving the boat with Papa.

Christmas Eve was when the big events took place. My parents bought little outfits for all the kids to wear so they could act out the nativity scene. Of course they are a little young this year, but Jess and Andrew made the cutest Joseph and Mary. I was dying. Jess was holding a doll, who was very talentedly acting out the part of Jesus, and her and Andrew would just hug and cradle the doll's head. It was so sweet. Then there were the boys of 2013 (Gik, Coop, and Jackie) who were the three wise men. Gik in that turban. I mean, Christmas could have been over and I would have been happy. He kept that turban on through the whole thing. Anyway, it was pretty special, and it will be a good tradition going forward. They will love it until they all become teenagers. My parents made a big prime rib dinner that was just as good as last years and then we all opened presents. I'm so in love with having little kids around again for Christmas. They make it so much more enjoyable. My parents always go overboard with gifts and Jack got enough toys to last him a few years.

Christmas day was a more relaxing affair. I mean, we already had three Christmases at this point so we felt like it was over. Matty and I went on a date to a movie while my mom babysat Jack. Jack loves nana because she is really good at making him laugh. Oh, and I almost forgot, Jack took his first steps on Christmas day. What? What? Nana and Auntie Lisa really worked with him. I think we probably forced it to happen on Christmas just because it would be a fun thing to remember. But, hey, you can create your own Christmas miracles, right? He took six steps.

One puzzle, a couple movies, and some shopping trips later, it was already time for us to head home. The night before we left, we made a fire out in our backyard and roasted S'mores. Nothing says bon voyage like good conversation over the fire. We sort of poorly planned our trip home. Plan A fell through so we decided to rent a car. My parents lovingly drove us to Ontario where the car was waiting for us, and the guy that was working the car rental desk was named Jack Hayes. It was the best. He gave us a discount because of our kinship. The drive was good until Jack woke up and we were in traffic, but on the whole we made out okay.

I always leave my home in California just feeling really blessed about having such a great family. And I'm always eager to plan another trip back. Jack had such a fun time playing with his cousins and getting close to family. I loved being back and talking with my parents, going to the grocery store with my mom, waking up and playing with the Lyon boys, getting in-person advice from my dad and listening to his jokes, visiting the Beans, laughing with Lisa and Matt late at night when there are no kids to worry about. VACATION!

I barely took pictures on this trip, which is the sign of fun, but here are a few moments.



























No comments:

Post a Comment