Thursday, June 11, 2015

lawn care.

When I married Matty, I really had no clue he was really into working in the yard. It's pretty great, because our grass is the shining star on the block. Every week he mows it in diagonal lines and every night he waters all the plants in the front and back. He even puts on a manual sprinkler if a brown spot appears.

The last few springs that we've had our own house, we have gotten super into the garden and flower prep. It was no different this year. We bought and planted flowers for the whole front flower bed and for the pots we have scattered around the back and front of the house. We will take some time each week to see the progress of the perennials we planted last year and see which ones are doing well and which ones are duds. It sort of sounds like the hobby of 80-year-olds, but we've had so much fun doing it. There's some sort of gratification in planting and seeing things grow.

Our garden this year is full of pumpkins, cucumbers, tomatoes, squash (this was by accident, ha), bell peppers, chili peppers, and carrots. The raspberry bush that is always full of honeybees emitting a gentle hum is finally giving us beautiful little fruit. We planted two apple trees and another peach in the backyard, the latter of which already has about a dozen or so peaches hanging from it.

Our home is full of life inside and outside, and I'm so in love with spring right now. I think we are about a week away from the official start of summer, and it's leaving me a little sad. Though pool days and barbecues don't sound so bad either.

I told Jack to smell the flowers and smile. This is him trying to do both at the same time.


1 comment:

  1. BEAUTIFUL!!! You're one of THOSE neighbors. I wish I had that kind of green thumb. Seriously, I just learned what perennial vs. annuals were last week. Teach me your ways, oh nurturer one.

    ReplyDelete