Tuesday, June 23, 2015

// the one with two weddings.

All my high school best friends decided to get married this spring/summer. Fun for them! I had a hard time filling out those rsvp cards and declining, so instead I decided to make a trip out of it. I brought along Jack, and we went from Friday, May 29th to Sunday, June 7th. And in case you aren't aware of that math, it's quite a long trip. Especially without my parenting partner who assists when my impatience gets the best of me.

Let's chat a second about the first night. From the minute we got to my parent's house from the airport (a tiring journey) Jack decided to stay awake until about 4am in the morning, screaming, crying, and the likes. I've never felt more delirious and angry and tired. I looked up plane tickets to see how much it would cost to leave early. I wasn't going to last all ten days.

But, of course, Jack turned it around. The next day he napped about three times and fell into a rhythm so that we could start enjoying ourselves. My parents babysat while I went to the weddings and saw old friends. He loves being babysat by Papa and Nana. We had some pool days out in the front yard. When we were feeling particularly ambitious we had some lake days where I got sufficiently tan and Jack got brave and entered the water up to his waist. Papa also helped him catch a few fish. We visited my grandma a few times and had nice visits. We made sure to stop at my two favorite dinner places of all time, Peonys and Oscars. Maybe it has to do with eating them when I was growing up, but nothing in Utah can really compare. Jack watched a lot of Finding Nemo (Memu) and cuddled with the three stuffed animals Nana got him (Nemo, Woody, and Olaf). We also went to Tom's Farm and went to a petting zoo and rode a train! So much excitement.

We Facetimed Matt every night, and it was sad every time mostly because Jack loves his dad so much and he wanted him there.

On the plane ride home I charmed the flight attendant into giving me the only extra seat on the plane. It was a reward after a long tiring week. Matt was at the airport waiting for us, thus ending my time as a single parent (thank goodness). It was a fun trip, though, and I'm glad we got to see family.











1 comment:

  1. When I travel with Scarlet but without my husband, I lose my mind. It's so so hard. Kudos to you for making it an entire ten days!!

    ReplyDelete